I love hot cross buns – they are just so comforting and delicious! This time of year they are everywhere and they come all in sorts of crazy combinations – fruit, chocolate, heavily or lightly spiced and even raspberry and white chocolate – everyone’s gone a bit mad coming up with different ways to make the humble HCB new -and i’m all for it!
My favourite is a blend of original and chocolate – I am greedy so I love the best of both worlds!
Unfortunately, they’re not that good for you, full of sugar, white flour and for some -hard to digestion dried fruit – so it was my mission to make a version that would support your health and make you power through your day. Using almond meal
is ideal for this as it is full of great b-vitamins which support digestion and skin functions.
My version is so healthy you can eat this for breakfast guilt free and won’t leave your tummy feelings sore from fructose and gluten. Also, they’re donut shaped. Siiiiiick.
- 1½ cups almond meal
- 1½ cup coconut flour or ground coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup raw cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 50g 75% dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- Maple syrup
- Desiccated coconut
- Place the first 8 into a large bowl and mix well.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl.Pour the wet ingredients into the first bowl and gently mix until just combined. Over mixing will result in a dry hot cross donuts!
- Gentle fold through chocolate and orange zest.
- Spoon mixture into a non-stick donut tray – the mixture won’t rise much at all and once cooked it will basically look the same as when you put it in so fill it to the top. Press in firmly with a jar lid.
- Bake at 150° (350F) for 20-25 minutes – do not overcook as it will be very dry.
- Cool in the pan before removing.
- To Decorate: with the maple syrup, make a thick cross on the top of the donut.
- Sprinkle over coconut and press in to make it stick. Neaten it up to make a solid cross.