Mmmm waffles. I could waffle on about them all day.. but we all know they’re good. A breakfast classic which has endless styling opportunities. I worked with Ceres Organics to make the most delicious gluten-free, dairy-free blueberry and lemon waffles and this was the result; topped with nana nice-cream and blueberry chia seed jam, you’re going to enjoy every mouthful of these.
Now making gluten-free waffles isn’t easy.. gluten is that magical substance in flour that makes everything sticky – at first I used 100% coconut flour but the waffles were much too sad and soft. So I decided they needed a bit more oomph and combined the coconut flour with almond meal – the end waffle has a lovely nutty texture that is still light. For a denser waffle, I suggest using 100% almond meal or even experiment using buckwheat flour.
At first I didn’t like how I styled the waffles with the purple flowers so I reshot it with hydrangeas instead. Then when I was looking at the photos I thought actually I do really like it both ways.
On the first batch of waffles the banana ice-cream and chia jam is piled high and mountainous. The second lot has more of a flat landscape – I purposely over blended the banana ice-cream to be runny and goopy and spread out the chia on top of it. Additionally I used some freeze dried plum powder from Fresh As to give it a bit of dimension. Either way works for me :D. In both, fresh blueberries are a nice contrast to the blended ones in the chia jam.
I thought I would mention, I got new Country Road Augie bedding in the Spend and Save.. sooo… of course I had to make and eat waffles in bed. It would be rude not too. I am a sucker for a bold stripe and this cotton/linen blend is dreamy to sleep in. Works back nicely with my Endemic Makus Art Geometric Deer Print and succulents. We found the pretty cups, Victorian-esque plates and enamel vase at Leopold Hall which adds a few softer edges to the room. I know it’s a bit odd to plant a succulent in a peanut butter jar.. but I reeeeeally like the type on it.. so it stays ^__^.
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1-2 tablespoons sweeter of choice - I used Ceres Organics' brown rice malt syrup
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons organic cold pressed coconut oil, in liquid form
- Rind of one lemon
- ¼ cup Ceres Organics coconut flour
- ¼ cup Ceres Organics almond flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- ½-1 cup frozen blueberries
- Extra coconut oil for brushing the waffle iron
- Lightly beat eggs then add sweeter, almond milk, lemon rind and coconut oil. Don’t worry too much if coconut oil solidifies but mix fast so if it does it is in small chunks.
- Add in both flours, cinnamon, salt and whisk until smooth and lump free.
- Add in the baking powder and whisk until incorporated.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Heat waffle iron and oil it up.
- Cook in waffle iron until golden brown.
- Serve piled high with nana icecream and blueberry chia seed jam